Saturday, February 13, 2010

Swirling in sadness


About a year ago, I wrote a post called the Age of Grief. It was a downer - not my usual "here's what's up on the farm and what I'm grateful for" post. Some folks were quick to point out that they found it depressing. Yup. It was about how in your 40s, dreams die. And so do people.

Well. Hold onto your hats.

It's February 2010. I'm a few months from being truly mid 40s. And here's what I know.

I have a husband who has battled cancer twice.
I know personally 8 women who have battled breast cancer.
I have a friend who is destitute and hopeless.
I have a friend who tonight lost her partner to suicide.
I have a neighbor who committed suicide 3 years ago on the eve of his young son's birthday.

Guess what? We're all exhausted. We're all emotionally spent. Somehow, in our 40s, it all comes to a head. Either we survive it or, I guess, we don't.

So, make no mistake. Our 40s/50s are a battleground for nothing less than our lives. And if you don't think that's true, I don't think you're paying attention. It's life or death out there.

Please. Make today the day you turn to your wife, or your daughter, or son, or you best friend, and you hug them tight and thank them for being on this planet.

Because, people, you are blessed to have them in your life.

1 comment:

Jake Dillon said...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX