Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What I love


A November drizzle that makes everyone's hair frizzle.

Cooking by myself on a dark Saturday night while the season's first storm rages outside and a wonderful movie about food and family plays on my laptop.

That my dog refuses to go outside until I get out of bed and come downstairs.

Watching my son and husband work out Math Olympiad problems snuggled on the couch (until they start fighting).

Giant maples leaves scattered across the road to town, slowly disappearing into the landscape.

That our potatoes, squash, pumpkin, chard, and lamb still sustain us deep into fall.

Bunches of this summer's dried lavender gently perfuming the house.

Coming home to a candlelit home, a glass of wine, and a smiling husband.

Little surprises from my loving and generous friends.

Halloween on Vashon.

Dylan's teachers.

Fall, 2009.